Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Glad We Got THAT Out of the Way!

Today is Tuesday, a day I have grown to LOVE for the past 4 summers here.  I have gone sailing every Tuesday night with a very close friend of mine starting 4 summers ago on a lightening and I have grown to love it!

To pick up where I left you last on Friday, I was on my way to the beach.  After my plans were all over the place for a few days, I finally got things nailed down and headed out to the beach for the weekend.  We got there Friday night and just hung around at my friends house for the evening.  Nothing too excited happened and I was totally OK with that.  Just being around great friends and sharing laughs was more than enough for me.

We woke up Saturday morning and my buddy asked if I wanted to go for a run.  I was so happy! I didn't want to be the only guy who woke up and wanted to go out for a run!  So we laced up and headed out.  He is faster than me by a long shot but I was going for a longer run on Saturday so he agreed to stay with me.  We went for two miles together and then he pealed away and finished up but I continued on.  We were in Lewes, DE and the run was beautiful!  I found a nice little trail and followed it around until I finished up just over 5 miles. 
My little Banner from my run :)


When I finished up my run I hit end on my Nike+ app and that annoying yet amazing little notification popped up.  I broke ANOTHER record!  Just 6 short months ago to the date I went for a run around the same neighborhood.  This time I killed that run.  My 5K time was down over 5 minutes and I went for 2 miles further than I did in January.  What an accomplishment!  I was never a runner so I don't know if this is as huge as I think it is, but I am going to enjoy it while it lasts!

After the run we headed out to Seacrets in OCMD.  I was excited but at the same time I wasn't.  I am not a huge fan of OCMD, it's not exactly my kind of crowd but nonetheless my buddy wanted to go their and it was his birthday weekend, so I wasn't going to rain on his parade.  I ended up having a great time and really enjoyed it.  YES I know before you say it, this is becoming a common theme and I should just continue to not over think things.  Hi have we just met?
This is me, 6 months ago on NYE with my friends girlfriend.
This is me, Saturday, at Seacrets...difference much?!
 
Holy cow what a DIFFERENCE.  I look at the first picture and don't even recognize that guy anymore.  When that picture was taken, I had been working out and busting my tail for about 4 months but just couldn't see a difference.  Through time, hard work, and dedication though I stuck with it and look at the difference now!  I uploaded this picture to facebook and there were a handful of likes and comments but the one that stood out the most read:
"I'm so glad you finally posted a picture so everyone can see how great you look! I am so proud of you and happy for you, you inspire so many including me, love you!!"
Thank you so much, that really touched me and I can't even tell you how much it pushed me to keep going on this journey!!

On Sunday I got home and I was messing around with my bike in the garage.  I decided to ride up and down the street a little to see what these new pedals and shoes were all about.  After a few up and down's I though forget this, I AM GOING ON THE ROAD!  I came home and grabbed my bike shorts and my other gear and I was off!

This ride was different than any ride yet.  For those of you who don't know Chester County, I'll just go out on a limb and say it's a little hilly.  On top of all that I was trying to get used to having my feet attached to my bike.  It was weird at first but I got the hang of it....or so I thought. I rode down to the Y which is around 5 miles give or take from my house.  I turned around in the parking lot and was heading down towards the red light.  I checked for traffic and had to do a double take because I though I saw someone driving down the road who I knew and then it happened....before I knew it, I was laying on the ground. Yes I fell on my bike and the only thing I could do was starting laughing. I said out loud "well at least we got THAT out of the way!" I knew it was bound to happen at some point, I just didn't think that would be it!  This ride was not my best but I got it done and it is a step to getting used to being in the pedals and shoes. 

Monday was a pretty typical Monday...The weather still stinks here but I have found my self tossing the iron around again and I love it.  I was always more for lifting in the past rather than cardio but that's just because I was being lazy.  I know love the two and really hope that I can use both to improve myself, both physical and for the performance in my racing.
 
It is funny for me to look back from time to time on where I used to be and where I am today.  I would have never done the things I am doing today.  I would have given up so long ago but that just isn't me anymore.  There are so many changes but I wouldn't trade them for the world.  I am so happy that I took the bull by the horns and stuck with it! People laughed at me and made fun of me for so many various reasons but if I listened to them I wouldn't have made it as far as I have and I am really starting to see that.  I knew what I had to do to ensure success and I did it.  Not for them but for me, for myself, and I am so glad I did.  Whatever you are doing, ask yourself, am I doing this for me or am I doing it for them?  When you find the difference, please contact me and let me know because I want to give you a hug and share how amazing you will truly feel!

Tomorrow is a new day and I will be headed back down to the boat for our annual 3rd of July party.  It is sure to be a good time and I can't wait.  Looking forward to spending the evening with great friends yet again!  Hopefully I will see you all on the other side of the holiday and I hope you all enjoy it where ever you are!


All for now
Keep FSU and Do It For Yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment