Tuesday, October 1, 2013

It was just supposed to be for fun...I swear!

It was just for fun, not a race, we were just going to run and have a good time....well we were supposed to at least.

It was 5k4Gray at the club.  Nothing huge, just a small local 5k for an amazing foundation.  I was there for Gray and nothing else.  Or so I thought.......I got there around 7:45, registered, got my bib and hung out with some people from work for awhile.  One of the girls joked and said "oh good you made it so at least I will have someone to chase during the run!" I reassured her that there was no way I was going to have a run like I did at my try and there was no need to worry. 

Before I get in to the race itself I want to tell you about the foundation and what the race was for.  There is an amazing family who is a part of the club where I work.  Their son has an inoperable brain tumor and I feel like I have a connection to them, although I have never even introduced myself to the family.  I have supported various different events for them in whatever way I could and when I heard they were doing a run I knew that I would be there.  Like I said I just feel connected to this family for some reason and I will do anything that I can to help them.  When I saw the mom come in with Grayson I immediately wanted to run over and give them all hugs and tell them how excited I was to see them, but instead I just looked from afar.

So as I was standing at the start line I start to chuckle at the people who were running before the race and doing all their crazy stretching...we were just there to have fun!  I did some dynamic stretches, took my spot on the outside edge of front of the start line and waited for the horn.  It blew, I crossed the mat and hit my garmin, we were off.  The course was a route I run literally 3-4 times per week.  I was just cruising along like it was an afternoon run before work.  Before I knew it we hit the first mile mark and I checked the pace.  7:40....uhhhh what? I figured ok let's just go with it.  We hit the hill on Limestone Rd. and no matter how many times you do that hill.....it sucks, bottom line.  So this guy was pacing right next to me up the hill and I wasn't going to let him pass me.  I just kept picking someone in front of me and trying to catch them. Once I caught them I would move on to the next, still keep this guy right on my hip.  I hit the top of the hill and into the neighborhood for the turn around.  I looked to my left, guy was gone, looked to my right, nothing...So I just kept running! The beauty of hills is that once you get to the top, you get to go back down.  I was cruising down the hill, unfortunately there was no one with me coming back but I did get to see all of the people who were going up.  I hit the bottom rounded the corner and headed back into the park, I was on the home stretch!  There was one guy who came out of no where and he hit the gas pedal, I did my best to not let him pass me but there was no stopping it. I looked down at my watch as I hit stop and crossed the finish....I couldn't believe my eyes....23:17 ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

It was just supposed to be a fun easy race and I PR my time like that...I am not sure whether to be upset or excited! It felt great, I definitely pushed it but I loved it and I wouldn't trade it for anything when I saw my time.

I ended up taking second in my age group and when I went to get my little trophy, the guy who took third was the guy who I lost coming up the big hill.  "Damn maybe I should have stuck with you and I would have done better" This made me chuckle. It was great to see some folks I hadn't seen before, to have a great run and to support such a wonderful cause for such a great family. 


This is me getting my pint glass for a second place AG finish!



All of us post race, what a great morning!

All for now
Keep FSU and Do It For Yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment